Security authorities in Isingiro district are probing the circumstances under which over 300 Congolese refugees reportedly fled from Nakivale Refugee Camp to return to their home country, the DRC.
The refugees, mainly children under 10 years old, reportedly abandoned the camp on Friday, May 12th, demanding to return home, saying there is peace and stability back home in the Democratic Republic of the Congo due to the recent UPDF deployment in the area.
An official from the OPM who spoke on condition of anonymity said the refugees now believe that DR Congo is now safe, peaceful, and stable due to the success of Operation Shujaa and the recent deployment of East American forces.
According to Bagiire Awonere, they must return home since it is now safe.
ASP Joseph Mugalya, the Regional Crime Intelligence Officer, says security has engaged authorities, including UNCHR and OPM, regarding the situation.
He adds that so far, over 300 refugees have left the camp and are currently traveling back to the DRC.
An official from UNHCR said they cannot transport the refugees back to the DRC due to the war.
ASP Mugalya noted that this is not the first time this has happened; therefore, there have to be stringent mechanisms to avert it.