The United Nation Security Council permanent five member states including the United States of America have backed the ongoing joint military operation against the Allied Democratic Forces, a rebel group based in eastern DR Congo.
On Tuesday, the members were briefed by President Yoweri Museveni during a meeting held at State House Entebbe to discuss the joint operation by the Uganda and Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC).
The UNSC fiver permanent member states include United States of America, China, Russia, France, and United Kingdom.
In his brief to the diplomats, President Museveni told the diplomats the operation stemmed from the invitation by the DRC government to combat ADF noting that Uganda is committed to observe critical international relations to build peace.
The diplomats asked UPDF to consider close coordination with the United Nations Organization Stabilization Mission in the DR Congo (MONUSCO), which currently has a peace keeping force of about 14,000 military personnel.
Adonia Ayebare, Uganda’s Permanent ambassador to United Nation, confirmed the development adding that Uganda is willing to ensure maximum coordination and cooperation with all the peace-loving agents during the operation in Eastern DR Congo.
“We have been instructed to work closely with UNSC members and the leadership of MONUSCO to ensure effective coordination,” Said Amb Ayebare.
“The joint forces reiterate the resolve of both countries to work together to ensure that the ADF is completely flushed out from wherever they’re hiding,” Brigadier Flavia Bwekwaso, the UPDF spokesperson said on Tuesday.
Last week, UPDF and FARDC announced that they had rescued several captives after conducting both air and artillery strikes on the four ADF bases in Ituri and North Kivu provinces (DRC).
Late last month, the Congolese army, FARDC, also announced it had rescued 54 hostages who were being held by combatants of the Allied Democratic Forces (ADF) in Irumu territory according to the army spokesperson, Lt. Jules Ngongo.
“These civilians were abducted during attacks on three locations and Luna,” Lt. Ngong declared, adding that the rescue followed massive military operations in the region.
“This success was possible thanks to combat patrols carried out by soldiers of the DR Congo national army based on the Komanda-Luna operational highway.”
21 among the hostages are children, 17 women and 16 men.
Uganda accuses the rebel group of carrying out terror attacks through bombings in Kampala City and in a bus on Kampala-Masaka Road that left nine people dead and tens injured.