UCC Weekly Update 4th – 8th February 2019
- The Parliamentary committee on ICT and National Guidance visited the Commission for a familiarization visit to understand better and appreciate the Commission’s mandate and the various activities and projects implemented. The MPs took a guided tour of spectrum monitoring equipment, the Cyber Emergency Response Team – centre (CERT), the Digital Logger and the Contact (call) centre.
- Safer Internet Day 2019 Commemoration; UCC joined the rest of the world to commemorate the Safer Internet under the theme “Together for a safer Internet” providing an opportunity for stakeholders to re-ignite discussion on creating a better internet for everyone. Discussions focused on four essential skills of Respect, Responsibility, Reasoning and Resilience, while drawing experiences, and forging a call to action.
- Addressing Commercial and Competition Challenges in Passive Infrastructure Markets; UCC has held an industry engagement with stakeholders from passive infrastructure markets, as an opportunity to the industry players to have an input on proposed regulatory guidelines and interventions. The round-table dialogue included: fibre and tower companies, MNOs, ISPs and the ministry of ICT.
- The new President of the Uganda Law Society (ULS) paid a courtesy visit to the Commission. UCC is a strategic partner with ULS, and the visit strengthens that partnership. ULS will continue working with UCC to deepen ICT legal knowledge in Uganda while UCC working with ULS will work together to advance ICT knowledge amongst lawyers.
- The Ministry of ICT and National Guidance and the UCC meet with the Hon Speak of Parliament to review and update the situation of the aftermath of Airtime Scratchcards. A meeting with telecommunication companies will be organised within two weeks to address gaps in airtime availability.
- The Commission directed Monitor Publication Limited to stop the illegal provision of data communication services (online newspaper) subject to obtaining authorisation from the Commissions under sections 5(I)(a) and 27 of the Uganda Communications Act 2013.
- Digital Skills training for SMEs taking place in Mbale at MUBS and with Associations in National Parks and Game Reserves in partnership with Uganda Wildlife Authority to promote ICTs in tourism.
- UCC and the East African Legislative Assembly (EALA) MPs meet to discuss Northern corridor projects progress and forge a way forward.
- Veronica’s Wish Movie is screening at Century Cinema. Veronica’s Wish the best award-winning feature film at the Uganda Film Festival 2018 directed by Rehema Nanfuka is screening on Uganda’s big screens. Good news for local content.
For more information, please contact
0800 222 777